Sunday, 17 June 2007

Father's Day

Today is Father's Day.

My sis and I bought a polo t for him. And we decided to dabao (take away) crab and stingray back home for dinner. We wanted to get the famous black pepper crab from Eng Seng (corner of junction of Still Rd and Joo Chiat), which we tried twice before and it was really good. For those who have not tried it, the black pepper sauce is heavenly! It is thick and you do not see the black pepper... it is ground up nicely... and it tastes a little sweet too. And the crab is huge!!! and juicy, and fresh.

Anyway, there is this crab aunty who has a bad temper there. She talks to you in a nasty, inpatient tone, so you gotta watch out for her. Today, I tried calling them at 5pm but the line was busy. I tried again after a few minutes, but the line was still busy. This went on for around 20 minutes and I finally got thru on my way home from my gf's place. A man answered the phone and this was wat happened:

Man: Hello!!!
Me: : Hey! Can I reserve 2...
Man: Pan Xie Mai Wan le!!!!!!!!!!!! (Crabs are sold out!!!!!!!!)
~Ch-kik (hung up)
Me: Huh?
Me: Hello? Hello?

Conclusion, crab uncle oso nasty.

So I decided to get the famous nai you pan xie (milk butter crab) from Defu Lane, but I couldnt find the tel no. of the restaurant. I parked my car by the side of the road and called my gf, asking her to help me order 2 crabs and a bbq stingray.

From what my gf told me later... this was their conversation:

Man2: Hello?
Gf: Hi... can I order 2 butter crabs?
Man2: Sure... but you can collect it only at 630pm
Gf: Ok... Can I order hung he (bbq stingray in hokkien)
Man2: Huh?! What?
Gf: Can I order stingray?
Man2: Huh?! We don't have stingray! I've never heard of anyone over here selling stingray before!!!! (in chinese)

Conclusion, all crab uncles and aunties are either nasty or sacarstic.

In the end, I had to get my stingray from a coffeeshop near my house. I called them and told them that I'll collect the stingray at 645pm (after I collect the crabs) and they said ok. Everything went smoothly from going home first to bathe, driving to Defu Lane to collect the 2 crabs and man tou (fried buns), and driving to the coffee shop, reaching there at exactly 645pm.

This was what happened there:

Me: Hey, I'm here to collect my stingray.
Auntie: Huh? U ordered mehz?
Me: Er... ya? 645pm?
Auntie went to check some greasy paper stuck to the stall board and yes, my order was there. The girl who answered the call earlier didn't inform any1 else about the order. zzzzzzz... and I had to wait 25 mins for the stingray to be ready.

Final conclusion, today is not a lucky day for me. =0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha, not trying to laugh at ur suay encounter. But when i read the conversations, they are really funny. =P - boboneo