Wednesday, 11 July 2007

SIP part 1

Just a quick post before I go to bed: I need to wake up at 615am tomorrow morning again.

On day 1 of SIP, I became a phlebotomist (a person trained to draw blood), as I spent the entire morning and the entire afternoon taking bloods. It was pretty exciting initially as it had been some time since I last took blood, but the excitement was short-lived. After awhile, it became more of a chore... I think they should hire phlebotomists to lessen this aspect of the Houseman's workload. Anyway, hopefully at the end of this 4 weeks I'll be a real pro in performing this task... hundred hair hundrerd hits (bai3 fa1 bai3 zong4).

Day 2 was a little more interesting as I did my 1st discharge summary and I had to stay for passive night call (up to 11pm). And I did my 1st ABG (arterial blood gas)... from the femoral artery. It was pretty exciting, though a little scary as well, to be poking the needle into an artery. Of course, I did it under supervision... and everything went well. The night call was ok... I set some plugs, took some bloods, clerked a new case, and reached home at 1145pm.

Guess what I ate when I got back home? One chicken-flavoured cup noodle and honey cereals with soya bean milk! Hmm... I hope I don't get diarrhoea... =o

No comments: